Tuesday, January 24, 2012

USPS, continued

Right after posting the previous post I managed to catch the subcontract delivery person at my mail box. I asked him what to do about the misdelivered mail. He explained that it's the sorters that mess it up for the delivery. While he was talking I looked down in his seat where he kept the white plastic box of mail to be delivered. I saw how it was arranged in order to make his delivery faster. One stack of mail standing on it's end, the next was arranged on it's side and so on and so forth. It made it easy for him to just grab the next stack after reading the address on the facing mail and stuff it all into the box. I asked him why he couldn't take a few moments and flick through each piece of mail to make sure it got delivered right and to correct the sorter's mistakes. He didn't answser but kept going on about how he could be blamed and he gets all the blame for everything all the time, etc, etc. I knew this wasn't going anywhere and there was nothing I could say to get him to realize that he needs to take the time to get the right mail in the right box. I went on with him that it's all about the time, so he could get his mail delivery done and get on home for the day. Who wouldn't, right? Still, there must be something I don't know for him not to take the time to check the sorts. Is his route overloaded? Is this how our mail system works? Next time I catch him at my box I will get into another converstion with him about this. Who knows how many people interrupt his day too. He probably wants to get back to the branch before dark and get on home. I probably would feel the same way. No efficiency anymore these days it seems, just get the work done any way you can and even though we like to talk how great we are and how much we think of the customer, we don't walk the talk!

No comments: