Monday, December 13, 2010

Verizon Fios, speed test excels with new speed upgrade

Below are the speedtest results when using the speed test at http://www.speedtest.verizon.net/. I recently upgraded from the middle tier speed at home from 25/15 to 35/35. I was concerned that I was not seeing a good test when using the http://www.speedtest.net/ website but the Verizon agent educated me that using the Verizon speedtest link the test is using fiber instead of the older analog link, servers, etc. This makes perfect sense to me but who would have thought about it, I didn't. So, here is the new test and I'm happy to see my speed is right up to what I'm paying for. It was just that I was having a lot of lag sending and receiving email on AOL this morning and I wanted to find out what the problem was. I can only believe that AOL is intentionally setting up some kind of lag time in the mail server in order to give more time for the user's eyes to land on the ads. I'm thinking again of changing my email service. Might as well use Verizon's, hell, they give me an email address with my subscription. Here's the test results.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 35.59Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.35Mb/s
------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows Vista, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.0
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_20
----- Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 164076 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.
Web100 reports the Round trip time = 17.64 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 2 packets retransmitted, 68 duplicate acks received, and 66 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 2.65% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 95.37% of the time.
This connection is network limited 1.97% of the time.
Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
---------------------------------------
I'm using that Actiontec router also. Seems to work fine. I only have to on occasion do a power reset on it when I think it's starting to lag and most times it improves the speed and the wireless connection to the laptop.

No comments: