Friday, December 3, 2010

Java Update Available! Yay, there goes my Friday night.

Version 22 it says. What could they have improved or fixed. Let's see....
----------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Java
Java provides safe and secure access to the world of amazing Java content.
From buiness solutions to helpful utilities and entertainment, Java makes your internet
experience come to life. (Great promise, eh?)
Note: No personal information is gathered as part of our install process.
Click here for more information on what we do collect.
Click Install to accept the license agreement and install Java now.
----------------------------------------------------
Okay, first let me glance over the 'on what we do collect' part.
----------------------------------------------------
Well, it seems safe enough. I'll go ahead and let it install but I won't be
accepting any toolbars or letting them set my default home page on my
browser. This is where you have to stay alert and not get in any hurry or
they will screw things up for you. Well, here goes....Oh, no, they are touting
the Carbonite Backup again. I wonder how much Adobe is getting for this.
I have my own backup program thank you very much. You have to uncheck
the check box to not allow them to install the 30 day free trial. I prefer Acronis
myself. Online backups are just another monthly bill. You could buy yourself a
hard drive dock which plugs into your USB port and use any backup software
to make your backups. I have two 1tb drives that I do redundant backups on.
I also hae a network storage box with two 1tb drives that are set up in RAID
fashion. So, on it goes...the next pop-up window is offering Open Office. I
already have it but use M/S office instead. Okay, now I am forced to restart
my broswer, no way out of it. This is the shit I hate with these companys. Wasting
my damn time. I'll end this post here for now.

No comments: